We provide support, education and resources
for Cantabrians with asthma and other respiratory conditions
Welcome, Haere Mai, Kia Ora
The Canterbury Asthma Society Incorporated (trading as CanBreathe) is a not-for-profit organisation providing services and support throughout the Canterbury region.
Our registered nurses provide education, support and advice to individuals and families / whanau affected by asthma, COPD or other respiratory conditions.
We help improve the quality of life for people with asthma and related diseases throughout the Canterbury area by providing a range of services to our members and the wider community
- Individual consultations to improve the management of your asthma or COPD (at our place or yours)
- Education about medications, inhalers and spacers
- Telephone advice
- Quit smoking support and subsidised nicotine replacement therapy
- Breathing tests to test lung function
- Resources for people and those supporting others with asthma and COPD
- Asthma education session to staff and parents at schools and preschools
- Information sessions to community groups
- Education and updates for health professionals in the latest asthma and COPD management (part charge may apply)
- Quarterly Newsletter with helpful information and advice as well as details of upcoming events
- Nebuliser hire and sales service
- Filters and giving sets for nebulisers
- Dust mite allergy bedding protection sales
1 in 7 school children in New Zealand are prescribed medication for asthma
15% of Kiwis over 45 years old have Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, that's over 200,000 people in NZ
People Die from Asthma
At least 50 people each year in New Zealand die from asthma, some of them at school.
Asthma Foundation COPD & Asthma Fundamentals Education Courses Now Available
The Asthma and COPD Fundamentals course has been updated. The course is designed to provide nurses with the necessary skills to offer asthma and COPD self management education to their patients.
The eLearning series includes four online modules. The Masterclass provided by CanBreathe is a one day face to face class.
For more details check out our Asthma & COPD Fundamentals Course information.
Save the Dates - Thursday 14th and Friday 15th February 2019, Christchurch
The theme for SIREF 2019 is Connected Communities and will include the latest research and service developments working to improve respiratory health and service delivery in the community.